C olin Murray has quit talkSPORT,
announcing he could no longer work there
after it was taken over by the parent
company of the Sun newspaper.
Former Match of the Day 2 presenter
Murray announced his resignation hours
after fellow talkSPORT regular Stan
Collymore revealed he was also leaving
the station – although in his case not out
of choice.
Their departure comes a fortnight after
News Corporation bought talkSPORT
owner Wireless Group for £220 million in
a deal that will see it take control of the
station later this year.
Collymore announced on Tuesday
evening talkSPORT had withdrawn a
contract offer made to him prior to a
takeover he believes to be behind the
about-turn.
The former Liverpool striker has twice
taken the Sun to the Press Complaints
Commission over stories about him,
obtaining a ruling in his favour on one of
those occasions.
Lifelong Reds fan Murray’s objection to
continuing to work for talkSPORT appears
to relate to the Sun’s coverage of the
Hillsborough disaster.
“While there are parts of News Corp that
aren’t a problem, it is the inevitable future
working relationship between talkSPORT
and the Sun that has made my position
unsustainable,” he said in a statement
which he signed off with the hashtag #
JFT96, used during the campaign for
justice for the 96 victims of Britain’s worst
sporting tragedy.
Murray, who said his last show will be 2
September, revealed he had been offered
a new contract until 2019.
A talkSPORT spokeswoman said: “It is
with much regret that, after three years of
working with us, Colin Murray has taken
the decision to move on from his
presenting role at talkSPORT this
September.”
“Colin has been a fantastic asset to the
station and, while we respect his decision,
we will be very sorry to lose him. We wish
him all the best for the future.


Advertisements